29 octubre, 2020

Ornate flowers are another important farming activity for San Quintin producers, besides berries and vegetables

ALBERTO AZCARATE VARELA
THE BAJA POST/NEWSROOM

In addition to strawberries and other blackberries and vegetables, in the agricultural fields of San Quintín in the Rural Development District 001 Costa Zone, various varieties of ornamental flowers are also grown, such as proteas, chrysanthemums, carnations and roses, among others; reported the State representative of the Secretariat of Agriculture and Rural Development in Baja California, Juan Manuel Martínez Núñez, who said that in the agricultural cycle autumn-winter 2018-2019 and spring-summer 2019, a total of 366 hectares with flowers were harvested.

The main cultivated varieties were: proteas, chrysanthemum, carnation, rose, lilies, cempazúchitl and various cloud varieties, according to what was reported by the Head of DDR 001, Engineer Fernando Sánchez Galicia and the Representatives of the Development Support Centers Rural (CADER) in a production of 6 thousand 830 tons of flowers.

Martínez Núñez, clarified that the economic benefit for this concept was in the order of 159 million 700 thousand pesos, approximately and 15% of the production was used to supply demand from regional markets, the remaining 85%, was sold in California, mainly.

The main producing areas are located in La Misión, Rosarito, Maneadero and San Quintín, Ensenada municipality, in Baja California, there are 14 producers dedicated to the production and commercialization of flowers.

Deja un comentario

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: