Former cameraman killed during auto show in La Paz BCS

Former cameraman killed during auto show in La Paz BCS

Oct 2, 2017

Javier Lucero, a former photographer and cameraman killed and two people injured is the result of a shootout at a shopping center in La Paz, Baja California Sur on Saturday September 30. The shooting occurred in the parking lot of The Home Depot store, which is located at plaza Paseo La Paz, where a vehicle exhibition was taking place. Gunmen fired on Javier Lucero, a former reporter for a local television station that stopped operating a couple of years ago. The situation caused panic among pedestrians and shopping center customers, who ran for shelter. Organizers were transmitting live details of the Off-Road cars exhibition, so there is a video on the internet where the shooting can be observed. Several detonations can be seen in the recording while women and children screamed and run fearing for their lives. Police officers arrived at the site, located in Boulevard Agustín Olachea and Libramiento Daniel Roldán, and began the investigations. Emergency personnel took a woman and a man with gunshot wounds to a local hospital. Minutes after the shooting, a special surveillance operation was established in the area; however, no arrests related to this shooting have been reported so far. In 2015, the former cameraman suffered an attack. An armed group attacked his home in La Paz; however, he was not there at the moment.   The people of La Paz started complaining on social networks about the insecurity situation in their city. Most of them said there is lnot enough police surveillance and lamented the wave of violence that the state of Baja California Sur has been facing for at least three years now. “It’s very sad that this is happening in our city. What is the point of having so many government programs to promote family coexistence, if insecurity is everywhere? In La Paz there is no peace, ” wrote La Paz resident Betty Quesney on her facebook account.   The State Attorney General’s Office said that they are investigating the facts, and declared they will find those responsible for the shooting in the area. The event adds to a violent weekend, with another six killed on Friday September 29 (five in Los Cabos and one in La Paz).   More than 800 high-impact homicides have been commited in Baja California Sur in the last three years, as the state...

Baja California Sur must develop earthquake prevention culture

Baja California Sur must develop earthquake prevention culture

Sep 23, 2017

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS). Taking into consideration the magnitue of the earthquakes that have occurred in the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca and Mexico City, a call was made to the society of Baja California Sur to establish protocols of civil protection to this type of natural phenomena, in order to build a culture of prevention in case of earthquakes. At the time, Deputy Alfredo Zamora Garcia expressed before the State Congress, the need to promote information campaigns on the measures that should be taken at a given time “to prevent human losses” but also to generate awareness about what to do before an earthquake. He assured that it is time to start a prevention campaign in Baja California Sur to publicize the types of measures that must be taken in the different areas of every day life. He also recalled that in 1995 the first earthquakes of the present era were felt in the region, with this type of phenomena occurring regularly in 2008 and 2009, later during 2013 and 2014; and more recently just 2 days ago in San Jose del Cabo. There is an important culture of protection from phenomena such as storms and cyclones, as a result of past experiences. “Today the residents of Baja California Sur have that great culture of prevention that has allowed us as a society to avoid the loss of human lives in the latest hurricanes,” he said. “We must be prepared, not only on the hurricane issue, but in case of a major earthquake as well, “he concluded....

25 parks are being rehabilitated in Baja California Sur

25 parks are being rehabilitated in Baja California Sur

Sep 18, 2017

La Paz, Baja California Sur .- The director of Public Works of the Urban Planning and Infrastructure and Transport Secretariat (Sepuit), Urbano Barrera Salvatierra, announced that as part of the Live in Peace program (Vivamos en Paz), promoted by the state government, 26 of the more than one hundred parks throughout the state territory will be rehabilitated. As for the current year, he said that work is being done on 25 public spaces in which resources are being invested for a total of 50 million pesos. Currently, he explained, “the municipality of La Paz works in two parks: one central in Fraccionamiento Arboledas and one more in Colonia Mezquitito. In San José de Cabo work continues on the housing complex of Costa Dorada and in the municipality of Comondú, in the town of Villa Morelos. The head of Public Works recalled that the recovery and rehabilitation includes works such as the installation of children’s games, led lighting, civic and cultural area, multi-purpose covered court, gardens and walking trails, in order to guarantee a decent space for family life as well as development of physical culture.  ...

State Health authorities banned the use of beaches in Baja California Sur

State Health authorities banned the use of beaches in Baja California Sur

Sep 6, 2017

State Health authorities banned the use of beaches in Baja California Sur as a preventive measure to avoid diseases, as there is a lot of garbage as part of tropical storm “Lidia’s” aftermath. Blanca Pulido Medrano, head of the Coepris in BCS, confirmed that the measure is established for at least three days. The municipality of Los Cabos, received the large amounts of sediment. She indicated that this is a precautionary measure and urged the population, residents and tourists, to comply with instructions to avoid skin diseases or other type of infections. Pulido Medrano pointed out that they are collecting samples on the beaches of the five municipalities of the state to avoid any risk. She stated that inspection and monitoring brigades have been deployed not only from Coepris, but from the federal agency and the National Center for Preventive Programs and Disease Control (Cenaprece), not only for the beach area but also in restaurants, in order to prevent any fodd contamination. “For now, there is a restriction for a number of restaurants in the municipalities of Los Cabos and La Paz, due to a spill of sewage in both areas. This measure is necessary to prevent diseases,” Pulido Medrano concluded. Source: El...

Historical figure of executions during the first 8 months of 2017 in BCS

Historical figure of executions during the first 8 months of 2017 in BCS

Aug 30, 2017

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS) .- According to the news website www.diarioelindependiente.mx, Baja California Sur (BCS) has reached a historical figure of executions, with a total of 313, which makes 2017 the most violent period in the history of the state. This is a record figure since July 31, 2014, when the phenomenon of violence began in BCS. In 2014, the number of executions closed in 52 victims for the State, in a year in which all crimes of this type took place in La Paz. By 2015, the phenomenon intensified, exceeding by more than 100 percent the number reported in 2014: 135 people were killed in violent crimes in the state: 123 of them in La Paz, 11 in Los Cabos and 1 in Comondú. 2016 continued with the same trend in terms of organized crime related intentional homicides, and according to the authorities of the Coordination Group, that year closed with 196 executions: 128 in La Paz, 45 in Los Cabos, 15 in Comondú, 7 in Mulegé and 1 in Loreto. But during the first 8 months of 2017, the wave of violence has surpassed the figures that were already historical in previous years: 313 violent deaths have been registered so far in the state, turning the municipality of Los Cabos into the most violent region in the Baja California Sur. This information was obtained through the documentation of each and every case by local authorities, as well as through the press releases that the State Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) sends to the national and international media. There is a discrepancy between the number of homicides that appear in organizations such as Semáforo Delictivo and the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System (SESNSP), which report fewer cases than have actually been documented. In general terms, this wave of violence has reached almost 700 executions between July 31, 2014 and August 29, 2017. Source:...

Police checkpoints reinforced in Baja California Sur

Police checkpoints reinforced in Baja California Sur

Aug 14, 2017

After General Government Secretary (Secretario General de Gobierno) Alvaro De la Peña Angulo met with the commander of the 40th Military Zone, based in Guerrero Negro, BCS, General Víctor Hugo Aguirre Serna, the state official announced that work will be done to strengthen the checkpoints located on roads to the north of the state of Baja California Sur. It is worth mentioning that, so far, these checkpoints have allowed the capture of more than 140 fugitives from justice, which prevents the increase of crime in the region. He also indicated that the purpose of reinforcement of the secondary road checkpoints is part of the interinstitutional strategy that implements actions aimed at crime prevention, in order to recover the peace and tranquility in Baja California Sur. “These actions aim to prevent crime, but also directly address those events that undermine social peace and order, that is why operability and intelligence efforts are being doubled” said De la Peña Angulo. Finally, he pointed out that both the armed forces and security institutions will continue to work to ensure the safety of the people of Baja California Sur, and of those who visit the different tourist destinations across the state....