BCS Head of the State Human Rights Commission (CNDH), executed in La Paz

BCS Head of the State Human Rights Commission (CNDH), executed in La Paz

Nov 21, 2017

A shooting that took place on the Boulevard Forjadores, in the state capital, resulted in the death of the head of the State Human Rights Commission (CEDH) in Baja California Sur, Silvestre de la Toba Camacho, who was traveling with his family . The attack took place at 6:55 pm on Monday November 20, at the intersection of Boulevard Forjadores and Luis Donaldo Colosio Avenue, where an armed group opened fire against the man’s vehicle. After the attack, the SUV ended up hitting one of the walls of the business known as Casino Caliente. Silvestre de la Toba was elected as president of the State Human Rights Commission on February 17, 2015. He had previously held the position of representative in the State Congress....

Citizens march for peace in La Paz, BCS

Citizens march for peace in La Paz, BCS

Oct 30, 2017

La Paz, Baja California Sur.- A group of citizens from La Paz marched through the city streets with banners in hand. In an orderly fashion, this group of people demanded peace and security for the innocent, and protested against the wave of violence that plagues their state. The contingent, made up of about 45 people, began its march on Manuel Márquez de León street and ended up at the esplanade of the government palace. Messages such as “For our children”, “United for life, dignity and justice” and “Where peace has gone”, were displayed by protesters expressing their rehection to violence. Some of these banners showed the names of homicide victims. The organizer of this march, Fidel René Altamirano, stated that the reason why they carried out this action, was because two of his co-workers were killed on October 21. Altamirano thanked the participants at the end of the walk and expressed that it hurts to see innocent people die in these violent acts. Another citizen, Alfredo Sánchez, said that he joined this march because he longs for peace and everyone should contribute with “a grain of sand” to make this possible. “We have faith that the three orders of government will work together with the citizenship i order to recover the peace we had before, but we have to do something for the sake of our children,” Sánchez said. In the same way, citizens expressed their will to work together with the authorities so that government and society can find a solution to stop the violent events that are disturbing the peace and tranquility of the people of La Paz....

Weekend of terror leaves 23 executions in Baja California Sur

Weekend of terror leaves 23 executions in Baja California Sur

Oct 24, 2017

Saturday, October 21 was the day with more executions. In La Paz, 8 were assasinated, while in Los Cabos local authorities reported 4 deaths from firearm detonations just that day. A weekend march for peace in the beach resort of San Jose del Cabo was followed by 23 killings there and in the state capital of La Paz, Baja California Sur. On Friday, October 20, 6 people were shot dead in La Paz and one in San José del Cabo. It should be noted that 3 of them, still remain unknown. On Saturday, October 21, the criminal wave left 12 more people executed in the state of Baja California Sur. Police found a man shot to death in a vehicle in the resort city of Los Cabos, after responding to a report of gunshots Monday. In La Paz, three men and a woman were killed early Monday when armed men attacked a house. That followed a Saturday shooting in the capital which killed a man and mortally wounded his 4-month-old son. While there is a heavy police and military presence in the tourist zones of Los Cabos at the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula, the area’s working class neighborhoods have grown accustomed to hearing gunshots. On Saturday, residents marched to city hall in San Jose del Cabo demanding the government stop the violence or step down. They released white balloons and held candles. Baja California Sur state is grappling with increased violence as drug cartel factions fight over turf. Source: ABC News...

Another violent weekend in La Paz, BCS

Another violent weekend in La Paz, BCS

Oct 15, 2017

At 9 pm on Friday October 13, residents of the Miramar neighborhood in the state capital called  911 to alert the security forces of gunshots in the area. The incident resulted in 2 injured women, one of them a minor . According to the first reports, the aggression originated on the corner of Avenida Miramar with Mar Calido, the subjects opened fire against the “Abarrotes Intermares” convenience store located on that corner. Also on Friday, 2 more shooting were registered in Colonia Flores Magón, the State Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) confirmed one person injured and 3 more deceased. According to the police report, the first event took place at 12:27 hours on Friday, October 13, on Calle Sonora between Margarita Maza de Juárez and Ayuntamiento, where a dead body was found and a person resulted wounded by firearm. Subsequently, at 5:25 pm, police officers located 2 lifeless bodies, on the corner of Calle Legaspy and Margarita Maza de Juárez (not too far from the previous incident), the corpses were transferred to the Forensic Medical Service (Semefo). Source:...

Former cameraman killed during auto show in La Paz BCS

Former cameraman killed during auto show in La Paz BCS

Oct 2, 2017

Javier Lucero, a former photographer and cameraman killed and two people injured is the result of a shootout at a shopping center in La Paz, Baja California Sur on Saturday September 30. The shooting occurred in the parking lot of The Home Depot store, which is located at plaza Paseo La Paz, where a vehicle exhibition was taking place. Gunmen fired on Javier Lucero, a former reporter for a local television station that stopped operating a couple of years ago. The situation caused panic among pedestrians and shopping center customers, who ran for shelter. Organizers were transmitting live details of the Off-Road cars exhibition, so there is a video on the internet where the shooting can be observed. Several detonations can be seen in the recording while women and children screamed and run fearing for their lives. Police officers arrived at the site, located in Boulevard Agustín Olachea and Libramiento Daniel Roldán, and began the investigations. Emergency personnel took a woman and a man with gunshot wounds to a local hospital. Minutes after the shooting, a special surveillance operation was established in the area; however, no arrests related to this shooting have been reported so far. In 2015, the former cameraman suffered an attack. An armed group attacked his home in La Paz; however, he was not there at the moment.   The people of La Paz started complaining on social networks about the insecurity situation in their city. Most of them said there is lnot enough police surveillance and lamented the wave of violence that the state of Baja California Sur has been facing for at least three years now. “It’s very sad that this is happening in our city. What is the point of having so many government programs to promote family coexistence, if insecurity is everywhere? In La Paz there is no peace, ” wrote La Paz resident Betty Quesney on her facebook account.   The State Attorney General’s Office said that they are investigating the facts, and declared they will find those responsible for the shooting in the area. The event adds to a violent weekend, with another six killed on Friday September 29 (five in Los Cabos and one in La Paz).   More than 800 high-impact homicides have been commited in Baja California Sur in the last three years, as the state...

Baja California Sur must develop earthquake prevention culture

Baja California Sur must develop earthquake prevention culture

Sep 23, 2017

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS). Taking into consideration the magnitue of the earthquakes that have occurred in the states of Chiapas, Oaxaca and Mexico City, a call was made to the society of Baja California Sur to establish protocols of civil protection to this type of natural phenomena, in order to build a culture of prevention in case of earthquakes. At the time, Deputy Alfredo Zamora Garcia expressed before the State Congress, the need to promote information campaigns on the measures that should be taken at a given time “to prevent human losses” but also to generate awareness about what to do before an earthquake. He assured that it is time to start a prevention campaign in Baja California Sur to publicize the types of measures that must be taken in the different areas of every day life. He also recalled that in 1995 the first earthquakes of the present era were felt in the region, with this type of phenomena occurring regularly in 2008 and 2009, later during 2013 and 2014; and more recently just 2 days ago in San Jose del Cabo. There is an important culture of protection from phenomena such as storms and cyclones, as a result of past experiences. “Today the residents of Baja California Sur have that great culture of prevention that has allowed us as a society to avoid the loss of human lives in the latest hurricanes,” he said. “We must be prepared, not only on the hurricane issue, but in case of a major earthquake as well, “he concluded....